The Major League Soccer (MLS) has undergone a true revolution in its visibility and prestige, and a significant portion of this success can be attributed to the arrival of the iconic Lionel Messi. The Argentine superstar has brought a wave of excitement to the league, showcasing his class in his early games with Inter Miami and positively impacting the team’s overall performance. Despite being at the bottom of the Eastern Conference, Inter Miami secured a spot in the Leagues Cup semifinals, a concrete proof of Messi’s influence on the field.
However, the MLS is no longer exclusively a stage for American players. With a growing presence of standout foreign athletes, the league is becoming an international melting pot of soccer talent. With that in mind, we present an opinion piece analyzing the top ten most valuable foreign players in the MLS, based on Transfermarkt data.
Ranking of the Top 10 Most Valuable Foreign Players in MLS:
- Evander (€9 million): The Brazilian midfielder, a product of Vasco, has dazzled with Portland, establishing himself as one of the league’s top talents. His ability to control the game and create opportunities makes him one to watch.
- Diego Rossi (€9.5 million): The Uruguayan forward, a jewel of Los Angeles FC, returned to the MLS after a stint with Fenerbahçe in Turkey. His decision to come back, now with Columbus Crew, showcases the league’s growing appeal.
- Facundo Torres (€10 million): The young Uruguayan prodigy, an Orlando City forward, is a diamond in the making. His ability to unbalance matches and interest from Arsenal indicate a bright future.
- Cucho Hernández (€10 million): At 24 years old, the Colombian is one of the most feared attackers in the MLS. His game-changing abilities and energy on the field are an asset for Columbus Crew.
- Lorenzo Insigne (€12 million): The Italian star, choosing the MLS over European teams, brought a touch of elegance to Toronto. His presence bolsters the league and showcases its global appeal.
- Hany Mukhtar (€12 million): The German midfielder has stood out as one of the season’s best, boasting an impressive rate of goals and assists. His game-influencing ability places him among the top talents.
- Talles Magno (€15 million): Another standout young Brazilian, Magno is already a champion with New York City. His versatility on the field makes him a valuable asset to the team.
- Sebastián Driussi (€15 million): The Argentine recently joined the league but has already made his mark as the top scorer for Austin FC. His contribution highlights the rise of South American talents in the MLS.
- Thiago Almada (€20 million): The only player to be a World Cup champion while playing in the MLS, Almada is a key piece for Atlanta United. His success exemplifies the league’s growing competitiveness.
- Lionel Messi (€35 million): There’s no denying that Messi is the MLS’s crown jewel. His arrival has brought an aura of greatness and a new level of global attention to the league, transforming teams and games with his unmistakable magic.
The Major League Soccer is undeniably on the rise. The presence of these valuable and talented foreign players is elevating the league to a global arena of competition and entertainment. With stars like Messi leading the way, the MLS is destined to reach even more thrilling heights and secure a strong position on the global soccer stage.