Josh Sargent scored a fantastic goal for Werder Bremen in Bundesliga action this weekend. This and more in this week’s version of USMNT abroad.
The Werder Bremen striker blasted a shot from outside the 18-yard box past the goalkeeper. It ended a goal drought that has lasted almost four months for the young USMNT player who is still working his way back from injury. Bremen ended up getting a point from the match as they drew 2-2 with Hertha Berlin.
Weston McKennie joined Sargent on the scoresheet with a goal for Schalke in a 1-1 draw with Hoffenheim. It was his first goal in 20 appearances this season. He doesn’t score very often but Matt Miazga found the back of the net for Reading in a 3-1 win over Birmingham City. It was his second goal in the EFL Championship this season.
The goals didn’t stop there, however, as Aron Johannsson scored for Hammarby in a 4-0 rout of Sundsvall. And in Denmark, Christian Cappis scored for Hobro in their 1-1 draw with Esbjerg, while Joel Sonora was on the mark for Arsenal de Sarandi in a 4-0 win against Aldosivi.
How the rest fared
- Sebastian Saucedo registered an assist for Pumas in a 3-3 draw with Club America in Liga MX.
- John Brooks played all 90 minutes for Wolfsburg in a scoreless draw with RB Leipzig.
- Gio Reyna entered in the 83rd minute to replace Thorgan Hazard as Borussia Dortmund defeated Borussia Mönchengladbach, 2-1, in an important top of the table match.
More from MLS Multiplex
- Sergino Dest played all 90 minutes in both of Ajax’s fixtures this week. He got into a heated exchange on the pitch with teammate Dusan Tadic that made headlines. Ajax were able to win 3-1 over the weekend to break a bad spell of form that saw them exit the KNVB Cup mid-week.
- Tyler Boyd played all 90 minutes of Beşiktaş’ 2-1 win against Ankaragücü.
- Erik Palmer-Brown played all 90 minutes for Austria Wien as they drew level with St. Poelten in a goalless match.
- Matt Polster played all 90 minutes in Rangers’ 1-0 victory against Ross County.
- Andrija Novakovich made a pair of appearances for Frosinone this week. Mid-week he played 84 minutes in a 2-2 draw with Livorno and played all 90 minutes in their weekend 2-0 loss to Cremonese.
- Cameron Carter-Vickers played all 90 minutes of Luton Town’s scoreless draw with Wigan Athletic.
- Lynden Gooch played all 90 minutes for Sunderland in 2-2 draw against Gillingham.
- Alfredo Morales played the entire DFB Pokal quarterfinal match against Saarbrücken. This match went to penalties and Morales converted his spot kick. However, Saarbrücken would upset Fortuna Düsseldorf to advance.
- Niko Hamalainen played all 90 minutes for Kilmarnock mid-week in a 2-2 draw against Aberdeen. Over the weekend, he entered in the 73rd minute in a 1-0 loss to Hamilton.
- Timothy Chandler was subbed off in the 77th minute in a mid-week 2-0 win for Eintracht Frankfurt against Werder Bremen. Frankfurt advanced to the semifinals of the DFB Pokal with the victory.
- Alex Mendez played all 90 minutes of Jong Ajax’s 4-0 defeat to FC Volendam.
- Haji Wright was subbed off in the 77th minute as VVV Venlo lost 3-0 to FC Emmen.
- Chris Durkin entered in second-half stoppage time in Sint-Truiden’s scoreless draw with Standard Liege.
- Emmanuel Sabbi was subbed off in the 77th minute in Hobro’s aforementioned draw with Esbjerg.
- Kenny Saief entered in the 77th minute in Lechia Gdansk’s 4-4 draw with Zaglebie.
- Tim Ream played 82 minutes in Fulham’s 1-1 draw against Bristol City.
- Chris Richards played all 90 minutes of Bayern II’s 2-0 victory against SG Sonnenhof Großaspach.
Check back next week for a conclusive round-up of all that happened with USMNT players throughout world football.