USMNT prospects Ulysses Llanez and Alex Mendez both scored over the weekend. Find out how they fared among many others in this week’s USMNT abroad.
In total, he has contributed 11 goals in 14 appearances for the U-19’s. At the moment, he in on the path to making a first-team appearance sooner rather than late, which is quite something for a teenager still learning his way in senior football.
Fellow USMNT U-20 player Alex Mendez was on the scoresheet for Ajax’s second team, Jong Ajax. The 89th-minute goal helped secure Jong Ajax a 2-0 win over Helmond Sport. Mendez is another vastly talented young player beginning to make waves in junior soccer in Europe. It is an exciting time for young USMNT talent.
Want your voice heard? Join the MLS Multiplex team!Write for us!
More goals and assists
The young USMNT players were joined by a few other players who also scored over the course of the week. Andrija Novakovich registered a goal and an assist for Frosinone in a Serie B win over Cosenza. The striker now has two goals and five assists in 20 appearances for Frosinone this season.
Similarly, Erik Palmer-Brown scored a decisive goal for Austria Wien in a 2-2 draw with Red Bull Salzburg. The 89th-minute goal was his first of the season. And Lynden Gooch was on the mark again for Sunderland. He scored during a 3-0 victory against Bristol Rovers. The 24-year-old has now scored 10 goals in 26 League One appearances. In his last three appearances, he has scored three goals.
It was not a goal from Giovanni Reyna but an assist in his first Champions League appearance. The American forward set up Erling Braut Haland for what proved to be the match-winner against Paris Saint-Germain. Reyna’s emergence at Dortmund continues to be quite the amazing story as he has gone from a reserve player to playing against the like of PSG on the big stage in a matter of months.
How the rest fared
- John Brooks made a pair of 90-minute appearances for Wolfsburg this week. He was part of their clean sheet 4-0 victory over Mainz over the weekend and the 2-1 win against Malmo in the Europa League on Thursday.
- Sergino Dest was part of a tough week for Ajax. The right-back played in both of their defeats this week as they fell to Getafe in the Europa League and Heracles in the Eredivisie.
- Sebastian Saucedo went 53 minutes for Pumas in a 2-1 defeat to Monarcas Morelia.
- Tyler Boyd was a second-half substitute for Beşiktaş in a 2-2 draw with Trabzonspor.
- Weston McKennie played 65 minutes in Schalke’s 3-0 loss to RB Leipzig.
- Josh Sargent made a brief appearance for Werder Bremen in the late stages of a 2-0 defeat to Borussia Dortmund. Reyna entered late in the match for Dortmund to make his second appearance of the week.
- Niko Hamalainen played all 90 minutes of Kilmarnock’s 3-1 loss to Celtic.
- Chris Durkin played the first half for Sint-Truiden as they fell 4-1 to Gent.
- Alfredo Morales entered in the 67th minute of Fortuna Düsseldorf’s 2-0 win against Freiburg.
- Cameron Carter-Vickers played all 90 minutes of Luton Town’s 3-1 defeat to Charlton Athletic.
- Ventura Alvardo played all 90 minutes of Necaxa’s 2-1 loss to Leon.
- Emmanuel Sabbi played all 90 minutes of Hobro’s 2-0 defeat to FC Midtjylland.
- Kenny Saief made his first appearance for Polish club Lechia Gdansk in a 2-0 loss to Lech Poznan in the Ekstraklasa.
- Haji Wright played all 90 minutes of VVV Venlo’s 1-0 win over FC Groningen.
- Lastly in injury news, Duane Holmes was ruled out for two weeks by Derby County as he recovers from an ankle injury.
Check back next week for a conclusive round-up of all that happened with USMNT players throughout world football.