USMNT midfielder Weston McKennie returned to action for Schalke. Find out how he fared among many other American stars in this week’s USMNT abroad.
A shoulder injury before the Bundesliga winter break kept Weston McKennie sidelined for six weeks. The United States Men’s National Team midfielder returned to action for Schalke this weekend entering as a substitute in a match against Bayern Munich.
Although Schalke were soundly defeated 5-0, it was a sigh of relief for both his club and country as he appears to be back and ready to resume his season. McKennie is still a crucial part of both Schalke’s plans and Gregg Berhalter’s plans, so it is encouraging to see him return in some capacity.
From a player returning from injury to a player who picked up an injury, Reading defender Matt Miazga left during the FA Cup fixture against Cardiff City with an ankle injury. This would be a devastating blow for the defender if he is to miss multiple weeks.
How the rest fared
- Sergino Dest picked up an assist during a mid-week KNVB Cup match as Ajax cruised to a 7-0 victory. Over the weekend, he played all 90 minutes in a shock 2-1 defeat to FC Groningen.
- DeAndre Yedlin played all 90 minutes of Newcastle United’s scoreless draw with Oxford United in the FA Cup.
- Indiana Vassilev entered in the second half of Aston Villa’s 2-1 win over Watford in Premier League mid-week action.
- Tyler Adams played all 90 minutes in RB Leipzig’s 2-0 loss to Timothy Chandler and Eintracht Frankfurt.
More from MLS Multiplex
- Javier Milei Elected in Argentina: Potential Impacts on MLS and Signings of Argentine Players
- Orlando City and New York City FC in the Battle for Matías Arezo; Grêmio Enters Negotiations! Who Will Come Out on Top?
- USA, Honduras, Panama, and Canada Close in on a Spot in the 2024 Copa America
- De Gea Turns Down Al-Nassr’s Lucrative Offer: Speculation Points to Possible Reunion with Messi at Inter Miami
- Messi’s Magnetic Impact in the United States
- Gio Reyna made a brief appearance for Borussia Dortmund in their 5-1 victory over FC Koln. He has made appearances in back-to-back fixtures.
- Alfredo Morales played all 90 minutes of Fortuna Düsseldorf‘s 3-0 defeat to Bayer Leverkusen.
- Tim Ream had a moment to forget against Manchester City. The defender was sent off just six minutes into the FA Cup match as Fulham fell 4-0 to the defending champions.
- Niko Hamalainen made a pair of appearances for Kilmarnock over the course of the week. He played all 90 minutes in losses to Celtic and St. Johnstone in the Scottish top flight.
- Tyler Boyd played 68 minutes of Besiktas‘ 2-1 loss to Göztep.
- Fabian Johnson played 87 minutes in Borussia Monchengladbach‘s 3-1 win over Mainz.
- Josh Sargent played 66 minutes of Werder Bremen’s 3-0 loss to Hoffenheim.
- Lynden Gooch played all 90 minutes of Sunderland’s scoreless draw against Doncaster Rovers.
- Chris Durkin played 77 minutes of Sint-Truiden’s 3-1 win over Royal Excel Mouscron.
- Matt Polster entered in the second half of Rangers’ 2-1 loss to Hearts.
- Matthew Olosunde played all 90 minutes of Rotherham United’s 2-1 loss to Peterborough.
- Sebastian Saucedo played 69 minutes for Pumas in 1-0 win against Monterrey.
- Andrija Novakovich played all 90 minutes of Frosinone’s 1-0 victory over Ascoli.
Check back next week for a conclusive round-up of all that happened with USMNT players throughout world football.