4) Alex Roldan – 22nd overall pick in 2018
Fair or not, there was a lot of anticipation surrounding Alex Roldan when he was selected by the Sounders.
More from MLS Multiplex
- Javier Milei Elected in Argentina: Potential Impacts on MLS and Signings of Argentine Players
- Orlando City and New York City FC in the Battle for Matías Arezo; Grêmio Enters Negotiations! Who Will Come Out on Top?
- USA, Honduras, Panama, and Canada Close in on a Spot in the 2024 Copa America
- De Gea Turns Down Al-Nassr’s Lucrative Offer: Speculation Points to Possible Reunion with Messi at Inter Miami
- Messi’s Magnetic Impact in the United States
If he was anywhere near as good as his brother, Cristian Roldan, the club would be onto something special. At the time, Sounders coach Brian Schmetzer shared his satisfaction with the selection. He described Roldan as smart, technically clean and tactically astute.
Things started off well enough in 2018 for the 23-year old as he made 19 MLS appearances, including seven starts. He had just one assist but it was a special one, as he set up a goal for his brother and they became the fifth set of brothers in MLS history to combine for a goal and assist.
Unfortunately for Roldan, opportunities in Seattle were rare during the 2019 campaign. He was limited to just five starts in MLS and four further substitute appearances. At the end of the season, the Sounders declined his contract option.