3. Nashville vs. Atlanta
Is there a better Opening Day match? LAFC and Miami certainly make an interesting case, but this southern contest has all the makings for an instant classic. Atlanta United will be settling in with CONCACAF Champions League campaign already in progress, while Nashville SC will look to win their first-ever match in MLS.
More from MLS Multiplex
- Javier Milei Elected in Argentina: Potential Impacts on MLS and Signings of Argentine Players
- Orlando City and New York City FC in the Battle for Matías Arezo; Grêmio Enters Negotiations! Who Will Come Out on Top?
- USA, Honduras, Panama, and Canada Close in on a Spot in the 2024 Copa America
- De Gea Turns Down Al-Nassr’s Lucrative Offer: Speculation Points to Possible Reunion with Messi at Inter Miami
- Messi’s Magnetic Impact in the United States
If Nashville can pull off the upset, they will gain immediate bragging rights over their southern neighbors. And despite being in different conferences and only getting this one match in 2020, fans of both teams are already gearing up for the possible rivalry. This Opening Day match should have a great atmosphere regardless of the outcome.
Make no mistake, it will be an uphill battle for Nashville. Atlanta are one of the league’s top clubs despite only being in the league for four years. Plus, expansion teams historically perform poorly in their inaugural matches. The record for expansion teams on opening day is a measly 5-10-3 (NYCFC and Orlando played to a draw in 2015), so Nashville certainly have their work cut out for them.
It is disappointing that these teams will only meet once in 2020, but the opening match should be exciting for both sides and any neutral viewers as well.