3. Julian Gressel
As always, Julian Gressel is going to be an important player to watch this weekend. Gressel is Atlanta United’s every-man as he continues to play any position asked of him. So what position will he be asked to play this weekend?
More from MLS Multiplex
- Javier Milei Elected in Argentina: Potential Impacts on MLS and Signings of Argentine Players
- Orlando City and New York City FC in the Battle for Matías Arezo; Grêmio Enters Negotiations! Who Will Come Out on Top?
- USA, Honduras, Panama, and Canada Close in on a Spot in the 2024 Copa America
- De Gea Turns Down Al-Nassr’s Lucrative Offer: Speculation Points to Possible Reunion with Messi at Inter Miami
- Messi’s Magnetic Impact in the United States
With the injury to Almiron and with reports of Hector Villalba picking up an injury in Paraguay, it will be interesting to see where Martino inserts Gressel into the line-up. There are literally four separate positions we could see Gressel start. My money is on right wing.
With Villalba dealing with some sort of injury, I expect Gressel to take this spot. Although he has been playing right back the last few matches and has a start at central midfield (where Almiron usually starts), I think Barco slides into central midfield and Franco Escobar gets the right back spot. That leaves Gressel at right wing.
With the exception of the match against New York Red Bulls, Gressel has been on fire as of late. In his last six matches (excluding the losses to DC United and New York Red Bulls), Gressel has at least a goal or assist in each match, and two goals and six assists in total over that time span.
If Gressel keeps playing at this level, then he should have another strong performance this Sunday and will help Atlanta to another huge win.