2. Savarino stars in victory
Although the red cards were one of the main storylines from the match, you can’t take away from what Jefferson Savarino did on the night. His two goals and one assist paved the way for RSL’s victory.
More from MLS Multiplex
- Javier Milei Elected in Argentina: Potential Impacts on MLS and Signings of Argentine Players
- Orlando City and New York City FC in the Battle for Matías Arezo; Grêmio Enters Negotiations! Who Will Come Out on Top?
- USA, Honduras, Panama, and Canada Close in on a Spot in the 2024 Copa America
- De Gea Turns Down Al-Nassr’s Lucrative Offer: Speculation Points to Possible Reunion with Messi at Inter Miami
- Messi’s Magnetic Impact in the United States
He took advantage of the holes in the defense and was clinical in his finishing. The first goal was a lovely opportunistic strike, pulling a loose ball away from the nearest defender with a brilliant first touch before slamming the shot through the helpless hand of Tim Howard with the second.
His second goal, a top-shelf strike in the 58th minute, has to be one of the goals of the week. Receiving the ball in the middle of the pitch with space to drive into, no defender comes to close him down as he wanders his way to the edge of the penalty area, and so Savarino simply curls a beautiful right-footed effort around Tommy Smith and into the top corner.
His assist was similarly clever play, pulling down a cross to the far post for Corey Baird to bring under his control and finish. This was an excellent attacking display by Real Salt Lake and Savarino was at the heart of it.