3. Leandro Gonzalez Pirez
Atlanta’s defense is often overlooked and underrated. This is in part to a pair of somewhat silent center backs, captain Michael Parkhurst and the talented Leandro Gonzalez Pirez. Because of Atlanta’s skillful and eye-catching attack, their outstanding defenders take a backseat. Gonzalez Pirez falls directly into that category.
More from MLS Multiplex
- Javier Milei Elected in Argentina: Potential Impacts on MLS and Signings of Argentine Players
- Orlando City and New York City FC in the Battle for Matías Arezo; Grêmio Enters Negotiations! Who Will Come Out on Top?
- USA, Honduras, Panama, and Canada Close in on a Spot in the 2024 Copa America
- De Gea Turns Down Al-Nassr’s Lucrative Offer: Speculation Points to Possible Reunion with Messi at Inter Miami
- Messi’s Magnetic Impact in the United States
LGP is a fan favorite, and one of the better defenders in the league. Every game is worth watching to see how he impacts the Five Stripes. This Friday is no exception, and for good reason too: Gonzalez Pirez became a father this week.
He and his wife welcomed a baby girl to the world late Tuesday night. Last week Gonzalez Pirez spoke to reporters about the possibility of his wife going into labor during the Columbus game, but luckily for him it happened a couple of days later. LGP is expected to start and play this Friday night, but what effect, if any, will the birth of his child have?
It is unlikely that Gonzalez Pirez’s becoming a parent will change anything, but it will be worth watching for anyway because of how important his contributions to the team are.