An action-packed weekend in Major League Soccer yielded plenty of results from the USMNT players in MLS. Here is an update from the weekend.
It was an important weekend for many clubs in Major League Soccer. And the United States Men’s National Team’s representatives had an impact on the proceedings throughout the league.
Gyasi Zardes was one of those players that gave his club a boost when they needed it most. Zardes scored the match winner in the first minute of second-half stoppage time to lift the Columbus Crew over the Houston Dynamo.
Zack Steffen also played a big role in the Crew’s victory. The goalkeeper made some key saves down the line for his club to record his eighth clean sheet of the season. Steffen is only one more clean sheet away from reaching his 2017 season total.
Dom Dwyer scored his 11th goal of the season for Orlando City on Sunday. Unfortunately, his club came up short against D.C. United as Orlando’s playoff hopes continues to dwindle.
Kellyn Acosta is taking full advantage of his starting role with the Colorado Rapids. The midfielder recorded two assists against the San Jose Earthquakes in a dramatic victory for the Rapids. Two goals and two assists in his first three matches has quickly turned around the outlook of his season.
Fafa Picault scored the match winner for Philadelphia Union from the penalty spot.
Sebastian Llegtet scored as a substitute for the LA Galaxy. It was his second goal of the season.
After arriving on loan from Midtjylland, Bill Hamid is set to make his return in net for D.C. United. The goalkeeper is expected to play against the Portland Timbers.
USMNT U-20 player Joshua Perez is also back stateside. The 20-year-old comes arrives at LAFC via Fiorentina in Italy.
How the rest fared
- Marky Delgado picked up an assist for Toronto FC in their loss to NYCFC. Jozy Altidore was sent off in the 11th minute of the match for kicking an opponent. Michael Bradley went all 90 minutes.
- Tyler Adams and Tim Parker went 90 minutes for the New York Red Bulls in their 1-0 victory over the Chicago Fire.
- Wil Trapp went 90 minutes for the Crew.
- Cristian Roldan went 90 minutes for the Seattle Sounders.
- Alejandro Bedoya and CJ Sapong went 90 minutes for the Union.
- Matt Besler and Ike Opara went 90 minutes for Sporting Kansas City in their clean sheet result against LAFC.
- Lee Nguyen played all 90 minutes for LAFC and Christian Ramirez entered in the second half as a substitute.
Check back next week to see how all of the USMNT prospects and players fared in MLS play.